Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Thanksgiving Day 2011

Ian and I knew our Thanksgiving holiday was going to be a little different this year!  My kind of Thanksgiving does not involve palm trees or temperatures in the 70's.  We decided that it would be nice to invite some of Ian's friends from his Squadron to join us since they weren't going home for the holiday.  Let's just say these fine Airmen jumped at the chance to spend the day off base and to eat a home cooked meal!

Now, you have to understand how crazy our living situation is here in good old Biloxi MS.  Ian lives in a dorm room on base and I live in a studio condo about a mile down the road.  When I say studio condo I mean that it feels like a hotel room!  So naturally the thought of trying to entertain and cook for guests in such a small space and not having a full kitchen was shall we say, terrifying.  My "good hostess" alarms were going off like fireworks on the fourth of July.

I'm guessing that Ian saw the look of panic on my face as we were trying to plan this out because he quickly said "This is where we live, it will be great.  Everything will be fine and think about what a great story this will make.  Our first Thanksgiving together in crazy-town!"  Clearly he didn't see the fireworks.  But as always he knows how to keep me calm!

Once I started to think things through I remembered what Thanksgiving Day is all about.  I scolded myself for worrying about petty things instead of jumping at the chance to give.

After rearranging the furniture (as much as we could) and shopping for our Thanksgiving meal I started to feel better.  It was nice to have Ian home and helping in the kitchen.  It was a lazy day full of friends, family stories, xbox, and lots of good food.  There was a moment where I was so full of gratitude for every single blessing I had received, especially for my husband.  I'm grateful for his love and that he still leaves me room to learn and to grow.  Grateful for the best friend I've found in him!  Looking forward to the many Thanksgiving holiday's we will spend together.
"Hey good lookin' whatcha got cookin!"
Ian has mad turkey skills.
They guys hanging out watching YouTube videos.
Our friends John Ferencek and Andy Kahl.
Ian's turkey was delicious!
Dig in!

No comments:

Post a Comment