Monday, November 7, 2011

Airman Lefler's Graduation/Our trip to Texas!



I'm a tad behind posting this...but better late than never!  Right?

Ian left for Air Force Basic Training at Lackland Air Force Base on June 21st 2011, and graduated August 17th, 2011.  My sister and I flew to San Antonio Texas to attend graduation.  It was a long 8 1/2 weeks apart, but I wouldn't trade that experience for anything.  

We attended all the graduation events including the Airman's Run, the Coin Ceremony and the Graduation Parade.  Pictures below!  I must say my favorite part of our trip was the last evening we spent together.  Ian was allowed to leave on "Town Pass" to a local baseball game in San Antonio.  During the game the announcer asked all of the Airmen to stand.  As the entire stadium started to applaud the brave new Airmen so ready and willing to defend our country, I couldn't help but wipe a tear or two from my eyes.  I've never felt such pride and love.  I am so proud of my Airman!

Please forgive the video quality/shaking...our "real" camera died so I had to use my phone!


This was taken right before the Airman's Run, our first chance to see Ian!  We lined the streets to cheer for each squadron as they ran by in flight formation singing 'jodies.'  


Sahmi was a trooper, she was up really early everyday to support us!!!! That's hard for a 17 year old ;)


This is Ian's squadron, 324th, wearing their maroon T-shirts.


I actually got a picture of Ian by accident!  They all looked the exact same and it's hard to spot out your husband when they are running!  He is 2nd row from the right, 2nd in.


The Coin Ceremony, followed by Retreat-where we pay tribute to the flag.  The Coin Ceremony is where each Trainee is named Airman, and they receive their coins.


After the coin ceremony was over, we got our first opportunity to see each other.  I like to call this "The Hug."  An indescribable moment.


The Graduation Parade took place the next day where the Airmen "Pass in Review" and reaffirm their "Oath of Enlistment."  Ian's flight was carrying the flags.  Here, they are officially graduated.


The Airman's Creed

I am an American Airman.  I am a warrior.  I have answered my nations call.  I am an American Airman.  My mission is to fly, fight and win.  I am faithful to a proud heritage, a tradition of honor, and a legacy of valor.  I am an American Airman.  Guardian of freedom and justice, my nations sword and shield, its sentry and avenger.  I defend my country with my life.  I am an American Airman, wingman, leader, warrior.  I will never leave a wingman behind, I will never falter, and I will not fail.  



Isn't he handsome in his Blues?

My Airman.
My Husband.
My hero.



1 comment:

  1. Shayna! Sorry to be such a creeper, but I noticed you had a blog on facebook and could not resist the urge to read it! Haha, I just wanted to say congrats! You guys are such a cute couple, and it is such a great accomplishment to finally be together again after 8 1/2 weeks. My husband was gone doing basic training and AIT for the army right after we got married for 17 weeks, so I totally know where you're coming from! CONGRATS!!!

    -Estella :)

    ReplyDelete