Saturday, September 8, 2012

Thoughts for the week...


I've been doing a lot of thinking this week, and I think I've helped myself grow a little.  Sometimes I can get carried away in my own little world and the only way to get it out of my brain is to either talk to my husband about it, or write it out.  I want to make it perfectly clear that Ian is a wonderful listener, but I thought I'd give him a break this time ;)  So instead, YOU get to be the listener.  And aren't you lucky?!

It seems that lately there is even more pressure on women these days, if that's even possible.  Everywhere we turn there are examples of what the world thinks that we should be.  Most of the time there is no escaping the images and messages that seem to be flashed across all existence.  The latest diet, the newest fashions, new crafts, new trends etc.  Can you say over load?

Sometimes I hop on good ol' Pinterest and I find myself pinning things that I want to do, things I want to buy, or things that I want to be good at.  I get myself all excited and for a few days it feels great.  But then I get a reality check...don't you just hate that?  I realize that no matter how hard I try I will never wear the dress size I think I should fit into.  I'm just not built to be a size 2.  Or sometimes I don't have the time or money to decorate my home the way I think it should look.  Or, "Hey, self..maybe you don't have time to do any of these things because you sit on the computer day dreaming about them instead of actually DOING them."  There isn't a day that goes by where we don't hear a new idea or make a new goal to try and change something about ourselves.  

Now, don't get me wrong...goals and making changes FOR THE BETTER are absolutely fantastic.  But, sometimes I think we completely misplace the big picture.

Newsflash!
YOU ARE EXACTLY THE WAY OUR HEAVENLY FATHER WANTS YOU TO BE!

There, now doesn't that feel better?  

I know I feel better now that I've reminded myself that I am of great worth in his eyes!

It really doesn't matter that I don't look like a model.  Ian loves me for exactly who I am, not for the me that will never exist.  Maybe I don't have an endless supply of material to decorate my home with, but, at least I have a home.  I may not be a world class chef and be able to prepare 5 course meals everyday, but we are blessed to be able to provide for ourselves.  And, I'll be honest...I have seen so many cute patterns for knitting or crocheting on Pinterest and I am just not cut out to knit.  I plainly do not have the patience for it.  But that's okay, because Heavenly Father has blessed me with other talents.

So, I'm not going to try and keep up anymore.  Sure I'll still try and learn some new things, but I won't beat myself up about not being "good enough" anymore.  I'll be the best wife, mother, daughter, sister and friend that I can be.  Not what the world thinks I should be :)

Anyway, just thought I'd share.  To the women in my life, stop putting so much pressure on yourselves to be worldly women.  You're exactly who you're supposed to be, and there is no competition for our Heavenly Father's love, you already have it!










2 comments:

  1. I love you, Shayna. Thank you for thinking. And for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Thank you! You will find this to be even more true when you have kids and nothing seems to go how you think it should! We are who we are because that is how we are created! I'm glad we are all different...makes the world more exciting! Love you beautiful cousin! You are remarkable!

    ReplyDelete